How to apply the Bible in daily life?
Principles of Application
- Application can be specific and related to a real world scenario (contemporization). How ever it must faithfully reflect and related to the meaning of the text.
- For an application to be valid it must not contradict with the rest of the scriptures.
- Application should be affirmed elsewhere in Scripture.
- The principle of application should not be culturally or historically bound.
- Application should not be an emotinal response, but rather with understanding.
Step 1: Grasp the text in their town. What did the text mean to the original audience?
Step 2: Measure the width of the river to cross. What are the differences between the biblical audience and us?
Step 3: Cross the Principlizing Bridge. What is the theological principle in this text?
Step 4: Consult the biblical map. How does our theological principle fit with the rest of the Bible?
Step 5: Grasp the text in our town. How should individual Christians today live out the theological principles?
Do not obey God emotionally, but rather with understanding.
Excerpt from: “Grasping God’s Word: A Hands-On Approach to Reading, Interpreting, and Applying the Bible” witten by J. Daniel Hays and J. Scott DuvallBible application, Bible study | Resources | By: TBC Admin